Derbyshire Sport club and activity finder
To search for clubs, sessions and sports in Derbyshire, click on this link: Derbyshire Sport Club and Activity Search
Parasport 'Play Sport' search
Cerebral Palsy (CP) Sport work to develop 6 key sports/activities; Athletics, Bowls, Football, SportStart, Swimming and Table Cricket. Click here to visit their website to find out more: www.cpsport.org/sports
Derbyshire's inclusive sport clubs
If you are looking for disability specific sport sessions then use the links below to find out more information on the different clubs available:
- Chesterfield FC Community Trust's Inclusive Multi-Sport Club - for young people with a disability
- Derby County Community Trust's Inclusive Club Programme - a range of inclusive football clubs across Derbyshire
- Derbyshire Devils Rugby League FC - for players aged 16+ with a disability
- Derbyshire Disabled Cricket Club - based at Darley Abbey CC in Derby
- Derbyshire PFC (Wheelchair Football Club) - based in Derby
- Disability Swimming Hub Club - Chesterfield Swimming Club
- Inclusive Cycling Hubs - a range of adapted bikes are available across Derbyshire
- Sailability - find out where your local club is in Derbyshire
- Sitting Volleyball - sessions are being developed at Belper Hammers and Darkstar Volleyball Clubs
- Wheelchair Basketball Hub Clubs - inclusive sessions for all abilities across Derbyshire
Clubs and activities in your local area
Below you can look at what clubs or sessions are available in your local area, just click on the flyer to find out more. In 2013 Derbyshire Sport received funding from the Cooperative Community Fund to produce the flyers; if you would like to update any information please get in touch.
Boccia is a fully inclusive sport.
Visit the Derby City Council website for more information on local activities, click here: Activities for disabled people in Derby City
- South Derbyshire Sports Directory - lists clubs that have inclusive sessions as well as disability only sessions
Umbrella - support group
Umbrella are a charity based in Derby who support disabled children, young people and their families. One of Umbrella's services is to coordinate opportunities for young people to participate in sport and physical activity. They run activities such as swimming and sailing. For more information visit their website here.
Sight Support Derbyshire
Sight Support Derbyshire are a local charity who provide essential support and services to blind and partially sighted people to help them to become independent.
Sight Support Derbyshire recognises that your well-being does not just mean practical support. They offer a wide range of leisure activities which aim to increase confidence, open up new opportunities to socialize with others and to keep fit.
Click here to find out more about the Children and Young People programme or contact Laura Bennett, Children and Young Peoples Project Worker - Laura.Bennett@sightsupportderbyshire.org.uk or 01332 287014
Local, regional and national events
There are some fantastic disability sport events that go on all year round from taster sessions to competitions in different sports and impairment groups. You can search for these events on the English Federation of Disability Sport (EFDS) website. The serach allows you to filter events by location of by impairment group:
What sport or activity to try?
If you are not sure what sport or activity to try or how you can become more active, there is a great guide for people with an impairment or health condition that will help answer some of those questions. The guide, produced by the EFDS aims to get inactive disabled people relevant information so they have control over where, what and how they can start being active.
Download the guide below:
A guide to amputee sports
Sport offers a wide range of benefits to amputees including health benefits and providing a platform to communicate and socialise. Read more here about amputee sports including the different types on offer.